What is Website Development?
Website development is a comprehensive course which covers concepts in web development and hands on training in using Dreamweaver web development software. Concepts covered include: web development cycle, usability & accessibility, ethics and other topics.
Note: If you just want to create a web page and don't care about learning the overall concepts associated with developing web sites, don't take this course! There are plenty of free web site and blogging sites that have predefined templates and wizards where you just drop in your content, which require no knowledge of web site development. Go use them and don't waste your time with this course.
However, if you want to learn how and why of creating web sites from the ground up and create your own layout and visual appeal, then this is the course for you!
Needed Computer Skills
Before taking this course you should be proficient in the following skills:
- File Management Skills
- Navigating to folders
- Copying, moving, deleting files
- KNOWING WHERE YOU ARE SAVING YOUR FILES
- Working with compressed folders (zipped files)
- Common User Access Skills
- Selecting text, images and other elements
- Copying, cutting, pasting
- Saving files
- Opening files
If you don't have these skills, please drop the course and take ICS100 or ICS101 first.
When and Where
Two sections of this course are being offered in Fall 2012
- Tuesday/Thursday 5:30-8:00 pm in Palanakila 122.
- Distance Learning .
- You can complete the lessons anytime anywhere according to the class schedule You MUST set aside time each week to work on the lessons. More than the average number of students fail in Distance Learning. Why? Because they don't keep up with the course weekly, then find it difficult to catch up.
- This is a very difficult course to take via Distance Learning. To succeed, you MUST be willing to ASK the teacher questions. If you do not like to ask the teacher questions, don't take this course.
- You MUST check your UH email frequently.
Textbook & Software
Online resources will be posted to the course calendar instead of a print textbook. This course will cover the use of Dreamweaver web design software.
- For classroom section
- Dreamweaver is already installed on the computers in the classroom
- If you want it for home use, you may purchase a student license from the bookstore.
- For distance learning section
- Purchase a student license for Dreamweaver from any of the University of Hawaii bookstores . Please be sure your computer meets the minimum requirements to run the software. Please note that the student license is less than the academic version at the book store, so be sure to ask for the student license. Call the bookstore before going to campus to be sure they have the software in.
- Once you purchase the software from the bookstore you need to get the registration code from the Student Licencing site where you will enter your product code. The web address for the Student Licensing site and the procuct code are on a slip of paper inside the software package.
Adobe CS Suites
Dreamweaver student licensing is available from the campus bookstore. If you'd prefer to purchase one of Adobe's Suites that contain Dreamweaver, check the bookstore for availability.
Adobe suites and the software contained in these. There is also a Suite called Production Premium, but it does not contain Dreamweaver.
|Software||Description||Suites which include software|
|Dreamweaver||Develop websites||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|Acrobat Pro||Create and edit PDF files||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|Photoshop Extended||Sophisticated image creation & editing, primarily aimed at photo editing||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|Illustrator||Sophisticated image creation & editing primarily aimed at vector graphics||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|Fireworks||Simplier image creation & editing||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|InDesign||Desktop publishing (print & digital)||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|Flash Professional||Creation, editing of animations, video and interactive elements||Web & Design Premium||Master Suite Premier|
|Premiere Pro||Professional level editing of video||Master Suite Premier|
|Audition||Professional level editing of audio||Master Suite Premier|
|After Effects||Animation and video effects||Master Suite Premier|
|& more||Several other programs are included in the master suite||Master Suite Premier|