Points: 25 pts
Summary: Write an essay as a draft for the products and/or services section of your business plan.
Part of the business plan
Each essay is going to be part of the final business plan. For each essay stick to the TOPIC of the essay. The essays will be incorporated into the larger business plan, but will not be in the order that they are written. For instance, the business description will be one of the last essays, but will be near the beginning of the report. Don't include other topics in this essay and don't worry about introducing your business.
The topic of this essay is Products and/or Services. If your business will be selling products only, then the topic is Products. If your business will be selling services only, then the topic is Services. If your business will be selling products and services then the topic is Products and Services.
Note: This is not an academic paper: do not reiterate what you learned and do not explain business terms. The focus is to explain how the concepts apply to your business. With any writing, you have to know who the audience is. The audience for a Business Plan are other business people. The plan might be used to request funding from an investor or a bank. The plan might be given to vendors that you purchase supplies or products from. The plan might be requested by a landlord when you are leasing commercial property for your business. What all these people have in common is they are business people. They know business terms and concepts, what they want to know is all about your business.
It's preferable to use Microsoft Word 2016 for your writings in this class. You can compose using another program, then copy the text into Microsoft Word (Use paste special - plain text in Word). Most campuses have Microsoft Word available in computer labs and libraries.
The following specifications must be met
- Modify normal style for the following styling set (Just like we did in the exercise at the beginning of the semester)
- Font: Times New Roman or Times, 12 pt
- Double spacing
- First line indent
- Your essay should have at least one heading. Any headings should be appropriately heading styles added. The headings can be thought of as an outline for your document. Use heading 1 style for your main heading on your essay. Subheadings of the heading 1 should use the heading 2 style, subheadings of heading 2 should use the heading 3 style & so on. Only use the next level if it is a subheading of another heading. It's possible that your document may only have one heading at level 1 with numerous headings at level 2. USE STYLES!
- Correct any spelling or grammar errors as indicated by the program. Spelling errors are indicated with red wavy lines. Grammar errors with blue lines. Dashed line have recommended change of wording. Right-click on the words for suggestions. (Control-click on Macs)
Note: The computer doesn't get everything right, you can ignore indicated errors that you know are not really errors, such as Hawaiian Words or name of a company, and there may also be errors that the computer doesn't catch.
- Information from external resources should be appropriately cited using APA 6th edition using Word's citation tool. Citations are required for any information that you have obtained through outside resources for all essays.
- Since these essay will be combined into a larger paper, a bibliography, table of contents, headers, footers, page number should not be added to the essay. We will add these to the final Business Plan.
Gather your bullet points from the lessons and activities for this unit. Organize the points in a cohesive manner. They should be organized in such a manner to help you write up information concerning the following recommended aspects of your business (Customize as needed for your business):
- Describe your products and/or services
- Include images if available
- Describe how your products and/or services are unique
- Describe how these products and/or services are competitive (Consider inlcuding the price comparison sheet)
- How will your products and/or services be priced (include pricing strategies)
- Consider creating a brochure or other documentation on the products and/or services include those in the appendix. (Optional, but recommended)
You may need to research additional information and add that information to your points. Be sure to cite your references.
The top heading for this essay should be ONE of the following depending upon your business.
- Products and Services
Write the essay
Your file should be named with your first name and last initial followed by essay1. For instance the name for my file would be
.docx is added by Word at the end of the file name, on some systems you might not see this. If you see it, don't delete it.
Use the weekly sentence points as a guide to write your essay. The essay should be 500-800 words long (approximate 2-3 pages). If you are writing fewer pages now, you may need to write more pages in future essays or add in information to this essay for your final business plan assignment which should be at minimum 4,000 words..
- Use clear and concise language and write in a business-like manner.
- Grammar and spelling are correct.
- Provide enough information without overburdening with details
- Information is comprehensible and written logically.
- Answer – who, what, when, where, why & how
- Be logical, and not emotional, in presentation of your facts, but do display some passion for your business.
- Focus on strengths, but don’t ignore weaknesses
- Document everything - create citations!
Don't worry about being perfect in your writing. These essays are first drafts! Your final business plan should show improvement in your writing, so it's more important for the essays to get your thoughts down on paper and organized, and don't spend extra time polishing your writing. That will come later.
- Minimum page length met (500 words). Percentage missing will be deducted from score. For instance, if essay is 400 words in length and 500 words is the minimum, then 20% of the points will be deducted from the score.
- All the required points are included in the essay. Percentage missing will be deducted from score.
- All grammar and spelling errors as indicated by Word are corrected and document has been proof read to catch other grammar and spelling errors. One quarter of a point will be deducted for each, up to 5 points.
- Essay is written in a logical, clear and concise manner. Up to 5 points will be deducted.
The combined points lost for above items 1 & 2 will not be more than 30%
Submitting the Essay
Your essay should be uploaded to Laulima in Assignments, Tasks & Surveys by the due date at the end of the unit covered in this essay.